Contributors

Friday, April 12, 2019

Crappy weather and a lot of crap...


Another April snowstorm has buried us in our homes, so this Minnesotan is getting some things done.

It must be the thoughts that spring is supposed to be here, but I think it's in Midwesterners blood. At this point we want to get outside and feel the warmth of sunshine, hears the birdies tweeting and see green anything. But it also is the inevitable spring cleaning bug that hit me a couple of weeks ago - interrupted by a short wedding ceremony by my baby girl, 28 year-old Laura.

When a person decides to dig into the collections of the winter, they know it goes deeper than that. Way deeper. Like China-deep. The real cleansing, the mother of all dusting, delving into things lost to time. Once you do it, there is no way back.

Well, there is, but people have died before they have gone back. And no kid wants that stuff, much less a spouse. But that's some valuable stuff, why else would anyone keep that stuff for 50 years if it wasn't collectible?

I think when I hit 60 last summer, a new gear kicked in. Time to soul searching: go through that stuff and give it direction or it will end up at the landfill. Garbage men may not even want it...

So I have going through the magazines, newspapers, pictures, books, junior high girlfriend notes, that left arm cast from college basketball, secrets and value only for me. Looking through the hundreds and hundreds of things. What do you do to it? I kept it for memories mostly but now some of those Sports Illustrated, Sport, Sporting News, Playygirl, Newsweek, Time magazines might be worth something. Yes, there are a few Playgirls. 

Yes, I looked. Again. And don't tell my mom for goodness sakes!

Who wants those baseball cards? What would possess someone to add my George Brett and Reggie Jackson memorabilia to their "Garbaaj" (sounds like French). Maybe they could use a few Minnesota Twins yearbooks, World Series books/newspapers, scorecards? You can fit several O.J. Simpson, Tony Dorsett, Jim McMahon mags, can't you? Maybe an assortment of baseball, basketball, hockey year roundups?

My brothers don't want the sh--, er stuff. So the next route is - I have three son-in-laws. Surely a millenial will want to store some of the MOL's prized possessions for eternity? Maybe I can get away with giving early birthday, anniversary and Christmas gifts???

So there you have it. I have to find a place that will buy them, start my own antique store or have a great bonfire. I will keep you informed.

+++

On April 1, yes April Fool’s Day, Laura and her fiance, Nathan to married. It was the 10th anniversary of them meeting at Bemidji State University. It was a beautiful, delightful, simple wedding: with the family birch arbor highlighting the ceremony, made by my husband, Ron, for the first daughter’s wedding (Betty) and second daughter’s (Mary). I am told by the baby the arbor is staying in her backyard, right where it stands after the ceremony. The other two daughters and mom put their order in for similar arbors.

No, that is not open to orders or ideas...
A small, immediate family wedding in 43 degree weather (hey, there was no snow so we all were happy), with a fabulous dinner afterwards. We all were home by 9 p.m. after the 5 p.m. start.

After doing this three times, I think my favorite part of weddings has been the before part. Where everyone informally gathers to prep, dress, drink, primp, laugh, cry, hug. Now that we have it down to a science, we are all done!

There were Slinger/Ohm family firsts: Best Dog, Dog of Honor, photo bomb, a beer blessing between mom and bride, but in the end it was so much fun!

There are so many more beautiful times to be had. More pirate moments, more family trip moments, more cabin moments, more memories to have.

I definitely have been blessed!



No comments:

Post a Comment